Monday, July 27, 2009

On-Hold Socks, Knit from the Toe Up







This was the first time I knit socks from the toe up, and I must say that I probably will not make socks any other way. I can try the socks on as I make them, see how much yarn I'm using (so I know whether to make shorter/longer socks), and even better, there is no grafting or picking up of stitches. The socks knit up in one piece! I used a single circular needle (size 1) and the magic loop technique. I could have used 2 circular needles, and the method can be adapted to knitting 2 socks at the same time. The pattern for these "On-Hold Socks" can be found in Wendy Johnson's Socks from the Toe Up. (There's a better picture of the socks in the book where the lace pattern is more evident.) It's available at the Dove Library. You can also go to her blog: WendyKnits.net where she first published a general formula for making socks from the toe up.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I would like to try that technique. Have you made Jim socks yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I offer to make socks for Jim, he says, "What for? I don't need any!" This year, everyone in his family will get one pair of socks from me.

    You should try it! I'm absolutely hooked! To make the toe, I used Judy's (Judy Becker)"Magic Cast On" as detailed in the book (or may be on her website: www.persistentillusion.com). I also chose to make the gusset style sock, but there are directions for the short-row toe and heel in the book.

    ReplyDelete